Re: [Rdo-list] Why do I need KVM, XEN, if I can use Docker / LXC?

On 18.02.2014 16:57, Kashyap Chamarthy wrote:
On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 03:28:20PM +0100, Arash Kaffamanesh wrote:
>From Krishnan Subramanian on his blog:
"As we move from a world of virtual machines to a world of containers, Red
Hat and Docker will emerge as two key players shaping the landscape"

Honestly, don't read too much into any single blog post.

http://allthingsplatforms.com/platforms/the-importance-of-red-hat-docker-partnership/

To be honest when I finally started playing with Docker I was a bit underwhelmed. It seems to be not much more than basic tooling around the linux namespacing capabilities.

The libvirt-sandbox/systemd-nspawn stuff seems to be a much better fit for this kind of thing as it is geared more at isolating processes in a usable way whereas Docker appears to aim at running a full System as a container which is really what the kvm/xen/whatever approach is better for.

What the CoreOS guys are doing with systemd is also interesting:
https://coreos.com/blog/cluster-level-container-orchestration/

Regards,
  Dennis