[Rdo-list] RDO Hangouts: Suggestions/Speakers needed

Amit Shah amit.shah at redhat.com
Fri Jan 24 11:54:44 UTC 2014

On (Fri) 24 Jan 2014 [17:13:59], Kashyap Chamarthy wrote:
> [Adding a few upstream folks (who work on KVM/QEMU/Block-layer
> Libugestfs) who expressed interest in improving collaboration between
> projects that overlap in OpenStack.]

Thanks, Kashyap.

> On 01/24/2014 12:24 AM, Rich Bowen wrote:
> > Last year we had two RDO hangouts, both on networking, and these were
> > very well received.
> >
> > We'd like to get this started up again, with hangouts on a variety of
> > topics. We've had some suggestions in past threads, but nobody
> > volunteering to do the content.
> >
> > If you're willing to speak for anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes on any
> > OpenStack-related topic, please let me know.
> >
> > Things I'd like to see us do hangouts on include:
> >
> > * Reporting/Alarming with Ceilometer
> > * Deploying apps with heat
> > * Using TryStack
> > * More stuff about networking, as this continues to be a common pain point
> > * Icehouse: What's coming
> > * More advanced deployments with packstack
> > * ...
> >
> > I'd also be interested in doing one-on-one hangouts/chats on shorter
> > topics (10-15 minutes) if that's more your speed than a broadcast type
> > event.

One of the things I noticed at the last KVM Forum / LinuxCon EU was
the KVM, libvirt and OpenStack devels don't talk enough.  There were a
few places where we saw suboptimal (or even deprecated) settings /
options being used for the QEMU command line being generated for VMs.

One of the ideas suggested was to have these hangouts-like sessions,
where a developer from openstack, or gluster, or kvm, or libvirt teams
would come and talk about their work, or how to best utilize the
infrastructure, what are the various options available, and tradeoffs
in them, etc., the overall stack would be better documented, and we'd
have more interaction amongst the various people involved.

I realise this is much broader in scope than what you have here, but
if there's interest in such a thing, we can discuss ways in which we
can go about this.  I'm also interested to hear if people have more
ideas in this regard (collaboration among people in various parts of
the stack).

Thanks,

		Amit