[Rdo-list] Simplest Icehouse Implementation Architecture

Eric Berg eberg at rubensteintech.com
Tue Jun 10 22:16:29 UTC 2014

On 6/4/14, 10:12 AM, Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 03, 2014 at 10:55:43AM -0400, Eric Berg wrote:
>> I have performed this installation and now have a control host and one
>> compute host, but am not sure of a few things:
>>
>> 1. First, I believe that I need nova-networking running on each compute
>>     hosts to avoid routing all traffic through a dedicated network host,
>>     but I'm not sure how to check to see that the networking service is
>>     running on my compute host.
>> 2. Lars helped me set up a single-host setup, which put my instances on
>>     our 192.168.0.0/16 network by using an ovs bridge (br-ex) with the
>>     IP of the host on the bridge, which owns eth0, but I'm not sure how
>>     that relates to this new setup.  Should I create the same type of
>>     bridged connection on each compute host?
> Eric,
>
> If you're working with the configuration you and I worked on, you're
> using neutron, so you can't use nova-networking on each compute host,
> unless you decide to ditch neutron.
>
> Neutron does not have an operational model matching nova-network's
> multi-host mode.
>
> You can set up Neutron in an active/passive configuration if you want
> to have some fault tolerance, but a given external network is always
> going to route through a single node when using the native Linux layer
> 3 agent.
>
> You can use vendor plugins from Cisco, etc., if you need a more
> performant configuration (but I don't have any details on what that
> would look like).
I bailed on neutron.  I did a packstack install with
CONFIG_NEUTRON_INSTALL=n and got a set-up with one control host and one
(so far) compute node from which I can ssh/ping hosts on my network.
...but not all hosts, since there's no easy routing into my private
OpenStack network.

Lars, I believe that when you suggested that we set up a bridge on the
neutron allinone install you helped me through first, we created an ovs
bridge with the IP of the primary interface, then made that interface
part of the bridge.  That was so that packets hitting that interface
would traverse the bridge to the private network(s) on which the
instances reside, so that they would have general access to my company
intranet, thus the internet in general.

How do I make my cloud instances visible on my intranet with this
configuration?

--
Eric Berg
Sr. Software Engineer