[Rdo-list] [Rdo-newsletter] March 2015 RDO Community Newsletter

Rich Bowen rbowen at redhat.com
Wed Apr 1 13:28:27 UTC 2015

Thanks, as always, for being part of the RDO community!

Quick links:

* RDO - http://rdoproject.org/
* Quick Start - http://rdoproject.org/quickstart
* RDO packages -
https://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/openstack/openstack-juno/
* RDO blog - http://rdoproject.org/blog
* Q&A - http://ask.openstack.org/

Happy Birthday RDO!

Just two years ago we started this effort to provide easy-to-install
OpenStack for users of RHEL, CentOS, and Fedora.

Since then, we've gone from being entirely internally developed at Red
Hat to having community participation from around the world. And we've
gone from zero to being at the heart of one of the largest OpenStack
deployments on the planet, at CERN, where they just recently crossed
the 100,000 core mark on their deployment -
https://twitter.com/noggin143/status/578950445835657216

We're so glad you're along for the ride, and we're really excited
about the coming year, as our relationship with the CentOS community
continues to strengthen, and we get broader community participation in
the project.

OpenStack Summit

OpenStack Summit is a little over a month away, and now that the
schedule is published -
https://www.openstack.org/summit/vancouver-2015/schedule/ -
you can start planning your week.

Here's a few sessions that we recommend for RDO enthusiasts:

* OpenStack Horizon deep dive and customization, with Matthias Runge -
http://sched.co/2qiP

* Lessons learned on upgrades: the importance of HA and automation, with
Emilien Macchi and Frederic Lepied - http://sched.co/2rGf

* How Neutron builds network topology for your multi-tier application,
   with Sadique Puthen - http://sched.co/2qcl

* The Road to Enterprise-Ready OpenStack Storage as Service, with
   Flavio Percoco and Sean Cohen - http://sched.co/2qby

* OpenStack Compute 101, with Stephen Gordon - http://sched.co/2qeM

* OpenDaylight and OpenStack, with Dave Neary - http://sched.co/2qc8

But there's so much more excellent content scheduled, that it's going
to be really hard to decide. So be sure you spend some quality time
with the schedule ahead of time, because on-site it's going to be
overwhelming.

Register today, if you haven't already, at
http://tm3.org/summit-register , and be sure to drop by the RDO booth
for your event-exclusive RDO tshirt, and our newly updated RDO
OpenStack cheatsheet bookmarks. See you there!

Packaging Updates

The RDO CentOS packaging effort continues to move along, and we'd love
to have you come join us if you're looking for a way to get more
involved in RDO. We meet each Wednesday at 15:00 UTC on the #RDO
channel on the Freenode IRC network to discuss the RDO packaging
effort. And we meet with the larger CentOS Cloud SIG group each
Thursday at 15:00 UTC on the #centos-devel channel, to discuss the
work that spans multiple open source cloud platforms, including
CloudStack, Eucalyptus, and OpenNebula.

Meetups

Every day, there's at least OpenStack meetup somewhere in the world.
Each week I post the upcoming meetings on the rdo-list mailing list
and on the RDO website at http://rdoproject.org/Events

If you're speaking at an OpenStack meetup, please let us know so that
we can help publicize it. If you attend one, please blog about it, so
that the rest of us can benefit a little too.

Some upcoming meetups that you might want to check out include:

* Thursday, April 02 OpenStack Seattle Meetup: Getting the Most out of
Cinder, Seattle, WA, US -
http://www.meetup.com/OpenStack-Seattle/events/219193094/

* Tuesday, April 07 April Sydney Meetup, Melbourne, AU -
http://www.meetup.com/Australian-OpenStack-User-Group/events/220202269/

* Thursday, April 09 OpenStack Howto part 1 - Install and Run, Prague,
CZ -
http://www.meetup.com/OpenStack-Czech-User-Group-Meetup/events/221143227/

* Thursday, April 09 Are you getting the most out of Cinder block
storage in OpenStack?, Atlanta, GA, US -
http://www.meetup.com/openstack-atlanta/events/219694781/

* Monday, April 13 OpenStack and NFV, San Francisco, CA, US -
http://www.meetup.com/San-Francisco-Silicon-Valley-OpenStack-Meetup/events/221142044/

Keep in touch

There's lots of ways to stay in in touch with what's going in in the
RDO community. The best ways are ...

Social Media:
   * Follow us on Twitter - http://twitter.com/rdocommunity
   * Google+ - http://tm3.org/rdogplus
   * Facebook - http://facebook.com/rdocommunity

Mailing Lists:
   * rdo-list mailing list -
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/rdo-list
   * This newsletter -
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/rdo-newsletter

WWW
   * OpenStack Q&A - http://ask.openstack.org/
   * RDO - http://rdoproject.org/

IRC
   * IRC - #rdo on Freenode.irc.net
   * Puppet module development - #rdo-puppet

Finally, remember that the OpenStack User Survey is always open, so
every time you deploy a new OpenStack cloud, go update your records at
https://www.openstack.org/user-survey/ so that, when Vancouver rolls
around, we have a clearer picture of the OpenStack usage out in the
wild.

Thanks again for being part of the RDO community!

Rich Bowen - rbowen at redhat.com
OpenStack Community Liaison
http://rdoproject.org/