[Rdo-list] Glance packaging and RDO Kilo

Alan Pevec apevec at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 10:12:56 UTC 2015

Moving discussion to rdo-list

> I have spent some time during the weekend thinking about the options here.
> Looking at the requirements from all parties, I see the following:
> a) From the packaging side, we want to split Glance into several packages (glance,-common,-api and -registry).
> b) From the deployment side, we want the glance package to behave as it did before, i.e. pull -api and -registry.
> c) From the puppet-glance side, if we have separate -api and -registry packages, we want to reflect that change in the Puppet modules and be able to configure -api and -registry independently. Also, this package split is already happening in Debian/Ubuntu, so removing distro-specific code is always welcome.
>
> With that in mind, I think the following options as the easiest ones to implement:
>
> 1- Split packages, with the following deps:
>
>   * -api and -registry depend on -common
>   * glance depends on -api and -registry
>
> This would require moving the existing content in glance (/usr/bin/glance-manage and /usr/bin/glance-control) into -common, so glance becomes a meta-package. With this, we would get b) and c), and most of a). The only drawback is that glance-manage and glance-control may not be a good fit for the -common package (Haikel, can you comment on this?). FWIW, this is how it is being packaged today in Debian.
>
> 2- Keep the old situation (no Glance package split)
>
> This obviously negates a), and keeps distro-specific code in c), but still works and does not break any existing code.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Regards,
> Javier

Thanks for the summary Javier, 1) is the right thing to do. For the
record, history of this change was:
* https://review.gerrithub.io/229724 - Split openstack-glance into new
subpackages
* https://review.gerrithub.io/229980 - Backward compatiblity with
previous all-in-one main package (quickfix after I've seen Packstack
failures, in retrospect that were I should've introduced -common with
glance-manage as you propose)
** in the meantime, puppet-glance was adjusted to take advantage of
the subpackages:  https://review.openstack.org/172440 - Separate api
and registry packages for Red Hat
* https://review.gerrithub.io/230356 - Revert dependencies between
services and the main packages (followup, b/c after puppet-glance
change glance-manage was not getting installed)
* https://review.gerrithub.io/230453 - Revert "Split openstack-glance
into new subpackage" (merged to unblock tripleo)
** https://review.openstack.org/174872 - Revert "Separate api and
registry packages for Red Hat" in puppet-glance

So the plan is to re-propose "Split openstack-glance into new
subpackages" and merged only after it's verified by all interested
teams and then re-propose "Separate api and registry packages for Red
Hat" in puppet-glance.

Cheers,
Alan