[Rdo-list] rdo-manager hostname issues with rabbitmq

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at redhat.com
Thu Apr 30 16:22:04 UTC 2015

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 08:15:35AM -0400, James Slagle wrote:
> For baremetal, I've added some notes to the docs to hopefully cover the
> requirements.

I'm not familiar with AMQP.  Is there a particular reason why rabbitmq
is so sensitive to hostname issues?  I was surprised to run into this
with a packstack install the other day, especially given that
packstack configures everything uses ip addresses rather than names.

rabbitmq seems to perform some sort of reverse-lookup of the hostname,
and there was a stale dns entry out there that it was picking up.
This wouldn't have caused a problem for anything else (because the
entire configuration is based on ip addresses rather than hostnames),
but it prevented rabbitmq from starting up correctly.

Is there any chance that we should also be pursuing this as a bug in
rabbitmq?  Or is there a configuration we can tweak in rabbitmq that
will make it less sensitive to hostname issues?

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at redhat.com> | larsks @ {freenode,twitter,github}
Cloud Engineering / OpenStack          | http://blog.oddbit.com/