[Rdo-list] OpenStack upgrade Icehouse Centos 6 best practice

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Mon Aug 17 11:18:26 UTC 2015

On 08/17/2015 12:54 PM, Chris wrote:
> Hello,
>

> We currently plan to upgrade our Openstack setup from Icehouse to
> Juno or even Kilo. This also includes a version upgrade on the host
> based OS from Centos 6.6 to 7.x

That's a huge shift for one step! I suggest you split the OS and
Openstack upgrades into separate phases to simplify the job. I also
don't think upstream supports upgrades that skip a release or two. It
may work, but that's not guaranteed.

> I have some questions regarding the upgrade an hope to learn from
> your experience.
>

> First question is, is there a Openstack version compatibility
> guaranteed within the different releases? The idea behind it to
> upgrade the different services (compute nodes / management nodes)
> in separate phases.

The usual assumption is that we support backwards compatibility for
one release, so you can stage your upgrades. Note that you should
first upgrade controller services, then agents/computes, not vice versa.