[Rdo-list] RDO bloggers, week of August 17th

Rich Bowen rbowen at redhat.com
Tue Aug 18 19:05:38 UTC 2015

Here's what RDO enthusiasts have been writing about over the past week.

If you're writing about RDO, or about OpenStack on CentOS, Fedora or
RHEL, and you're not on my list, please let me know!

Flavio Percoco, PTL of the Zaqar project by Rich Bowen

Zaqar (formerly called Marconi) is the messaging service in OpenStack. I
recently had an opportunity to interview Flavio Percoco, who is the PTL
(Project Technical Lead) of that project, about what’s new in Kilo, and
what’s coming in Liberty.
... read more at http://tm3.org/1x

Tokenless Keystone by Adam Young

Keystone Tokens are bearer tokens, and bearer tokens are vulnerable to
replay attacks. What if we wanted to get rid of them?
... read more at http://tm3.org/1y

Upgrades are dying, don’t die with them, by Maxime Payant-Chartier

We live in a world that has changed the way it consumes applications.
The last few years have seen a rapid rise in the adoption of
Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) and Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS). Much of
this can be attributed to the broad success of Amazon Web Services
(AWS), which is said to have grown revenue from $3.1B to $5B last year
(Forbes). More and more people, enterprise customers included, are
consuming applications and resources that require little to no
maintenance. And any maintenance that does happen, now goes unnoticed by
users. This leaves traditional software vendors contending to find a way
to adapt their distribution models to make their software easier to
consume. Lengthy, painful upgrades are no longer acceptable to users,
forcing vendors to create a solution to this problem.
... read more at http://tm3.org/1z

The OpenStack Big Tent, by Rich Bowen

OpenStack is big and complicated. It’s composed of many moving parts,
and it can be somewhat intimidating to figure out what all the bits do,
what’s required, what’s optional, and how to put all the bits together.
... read more at http://tm3.org/1-

Provider external networks (in an appropriate amount of detail) by Lars
Kellogg-Stedman

In Quantum in Too Much Detail, I discussed the architecture of a Neutron
deployment in detail. Since that article was published, Neutron gained
the ability to handle multiple external networks with a single L3 agent.
While I wrote about that back in 2014, I covered the configuration side
of it in much more detail than I discussed the underlying network
architecture. This post addresses the architecture side.
... read more at http://tm3.org/20

Logging configuration in OpenContrail by Numan Siddique

We know that all software components and services generate log files.
These log files are vital in troubleshooting and debugging problems. If
the log files are not managed properly then it can be extremely
difficult to get a good look into them.
... read more at http://tm3.org/21

Neutron in-tree integration tests by Assaf Muller

It’s time for OpenStack projects to take ownership of their quality.
Introducing in-tree, whitebox multinode simulated integration testing. A
lot of work went in over the last few months by a lot of people to make
it happen.
... read more at http://tm3.org/22

Dims talks about the Oslo project, by Rich Bowen

This is the second in what I hope is a long-running series of interviews
with the various OpenStack PTLs (Project Technical Leads), in an effort
to better understand what the various projects do, what's new in the
Kilo release, and what we can expect in Liberty, and beyond.
... read (and listen) more at http://tm3.org/23

Performance and Scaling your Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform
Cloud by Joe Talerico

As OpenStack continues to grow into a mainstream
Infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) platform, the industry seeks to learn
more about its performance and scalability for use in production
environments. As recently captured in this blog, common questions that
typically arise are: “Is my hardware vendor working with my software
vendor?”, “How much hardware would I actually need?”, and “What are the
best practices for scaling out my OpenStack environment?”
... read more at http://tm3.org/24

Rich Bowen - rbowen at redhat.com
OpenStack Community Liaison
http://rdoproject.org/