[Rdo-list] Consequences for RDO of the proposal "no longer doing stable point releases"

Alan Pevec apevec at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 10:38:41 UTC 2015

> - We ignore the initial release :)

That's why first RHEL was 2.1 :)

> I would imagine that other deployers follow similar scenarios.

Me too, thanks for confirmation for the field.

> I think it would be good if RPMs would continue to be produced on
> a regular basis, to allow consumers to benefit from the upstream
> bug fixes. But I guess we would need to find a balance between
> consumer needs and the available packaging effort.

Yes, in upstream discussion I was at first going to propose to keep
strictly time-based point release tags but then I liked upstream
"stands behind" each commit idea. So every stable commit would be
micro-versioned (TBD how and where to provide tarballs) so that RDO
and other distros could take any of them, based on their own schedules
and still have common reference point(s).

I'd propose to do RDO rebases on monthly basis with an option to do
on-demand rebases for CVE or critical issues.
Package updates are always up to the package maintainers so this would
be a recommendation.
If needed, in case of unresponsive maintainers for example,
super-packagers would do the rebases but that should an exception,
package maintainership must be distributed otherwise we failed!

Cheers,
Alan