[Rdo-list] [rdo-manager] [Ceph] Ceph deployment / usage

Giulio Fidente gfidente at redhat.com
Fri Oct 16 23:27:04 UTC 2015

On 10/15/2015 02:38 PM, Ignacio Bravo wrote:
> All,
>
> I need to deploy oVirt to put some VMs today and it requires a either
> CephFS or GlusterFS as the backends. Ideally, I would chose CephFS so
> that oVirt + RDO-Manager can share the same storage resources with Ceph
> and not having two distinct storage products.
>
> After the last couple of days, a lot of bug fixes have been done to
> RDO-Manager, but I have not yet being able to perform a HA deployment (3
> controllers) plus Ceph as the backend.
>
> So my question is can I deploy Ceph as a stand alone product and then
> configure RDO-Manager to use this pool without deploying a new Ceph
> instance? or shall I deploy everything through RDO-Manager and then
> build from there?

hi,

it is possible to deploy an Overcloud and provide to it as input
parameters the details so that it would attach nova, cinder and glance
to an external, unmanaged, Ceph deployment yes.

To do so, make a copy of the file

/usr/share/openstack-tripleo-heat-templates/environments/puppet-ceph-external.yaml

edit the parameters as needed and then deploy adding

-e /path/to/your/custom.yaml

This said, I am concerned about the failed attempts to deploy with Ceph
because we do test the deployment with Ceph as one of our gating jobs
upstream in gerrit, it's not a 2nd class citizen and it'd be interesting
to figure what is going wrong for you.

Were you able to deploy with 3 controllers without Ceph on that same
environment? Did you provide both these arguments:

--ceph-storage-scale X

-e
/usr/share/openstack-tripleo-heat-temapltes/environments/storage-environment.yaml

when deploying with Ceph? If the CephStorage nodes are ACTIVE in Nova,
could you try logging on both the controller node and the cephstorage
node to see what 'sudo ceph status' returns?
--
Giulio Fidente
GPG KEY: 08D733BA