[Rdo-list] [Rdo-newsletter] RDO Community Newsletter, September 2015

Rich Bowen rbowen at redhat.com
Fri Sep 4 13:04:51 UTC 2015

September 2015 RDO Community Newsletter

(This newsletter is also available online at
https://www.rdoproject.org/Newsletter/2015_September )

Quick links:

* Quick Start - http://rdoproject.org/quickstart
* RDO packages - http://rdoproject.org/repos/ with the trunk packages
   in http://rdoproject.org/repos/openstack/openstack-trunk/
* RDO blog - http://rdoproject.org/blog
* Q&A - http://ask.openstack.org/
* Open Tickets - http://tm3.org/rdobugs
* Twitter - http://twitter.com/rdocommunity

Thanks for being part of the RDO community!

Mailing List Update
===================

Here's what's been going on in the RDO world since you last heard from
me.

* GSoC

The Google Summer of Code has ended, and Asadullah Hussain,
who was working on a "Cloud In A box" bootable image, using RDO, has
completed his project. Asad says:

Hi, I have been working on developing a CentOS-RDO remix as part of my
GSoC project with Rich Bowen. I have pushed the first release of the
project and the ISO is available at:
http://buildlogs.centos.org/gsoc2015/cloud-in-a-box/CentOS-7-x86_64-RDO-1503-2015082701.iso.
The ISO allows the user to install RDO during CentOS installation via
both --alinone & --answer-file modes of packstack.

Development involved writing an extension (addon) to the
Anaconda Installer, the source along with testing instructions is
available at: https://github.com/asadpiz/org_centos_cloud

I would appreciate  feeback/testing of this addon as the main
motivation was to provide a pre-configured, assumption driven "cloud
in a box" to the users.

* Packaging meetings

We continue to have packaging meetings every week. You can catch up on
the minutes at:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/rdo-list/2015-August/msg00035.html
https://www.redhat.com/archives/rdo-list/2015-August/msg00064.html
https://www.redhat.com/archives/rdo-list/2015-August/msg00107.html
https://www.redhat.com/archives/rdo-list/2015-August/msg00137.html

* Bug Statistics

Chandan Kumar has started posting weekly bug statistics summaries.
These are great for tracking the progress of the project, and are also
an excellent place to look if you're getting started and looking for
something to start working on.

You can see the latest of these messages at
https://www.redhat.com/archives/rdo-list/2015-August/msg00136.html

* The future of Packstack

There was some discussion of the role of Packstack, and its future, in
light of the work that's happening on RDO Manager. You can pick up
that thread at
https://www.redhat.com/archives/rdo-list/2015-August/msg00032.html

RDO Blogs
=========

In August I started a series of interviews with various OpenStack PTLs
(Project Technical Leads), talking about not only what's coming in
Liberty, but the long-term vision that these PTLs have for their
corner of OpenStack.

I started by interviewing Flavio Percoco, PTL of the Zaqar project:
https://www.rdoproject.org/forum/discussion/1031/flavio-percoco-talks-about-the-zaqar-project

Next, I spoke with Davanum "Dims" Srinivas, PTL of Oslo:
https://www.rdoproject.org/forum/discussion/1032/dims-talks-about-the-oslo-project/p1

And, most recently, I talked with Kyle Mestery, PTL of the Neutron
project:
https://www.rdoproject.org/forum/discussion/1035/kyle-mestery-and-the-future-of-neutron

I hope to continue these interviews in the coming months, and
eventually get around to all of the projects.

Of course, I'm not the only person interviewing the PTLs. You can hear
some of the other PTL interviews at
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKqaoAnDyfgpNGTIfXQ53UCQAJPn8u25v

Events
======

* OpenStack Summit

We're less than 2 months away from the OpenStack Summit in Tokyo. The
schedule has been published at
https://www.openstack.org/summit/tokyo-2015/schedule/ and you can
still register at
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/openstack-summit-october-2015-tokyo-tickets-17356780598

In addition to tons of great OpenStack content, this will be the
design summit for the Mitaka cycle, where the community will decide
what the priorities will be for the next release. You don't want to
miss it.

And we're planning to have another RDO community meetup there, which
is the best time to learn about what's happening in RDO, and where you
can get involved. Watch the rdo-list mailing list, and @RDOCommunity
on Twitter, for details as they become available.

* FOSDEM

Save the date! FOSDEM will be held 30 & 31 January 2016 in Brussels.
We're planning a full-day RDO meetup the day before, for in-depth
coverage of some of the topics that we can only briefly touch on in an
hour-long meetup. Details are still being worked out, and we'll tell
you in the next edition of this newsletter, by which time we should
have a location and other details.

* Meetups

Every week, I update the events listing at
http://rdoproject.org/Events including the meetups that happen almost
every day of every week. If you're planning a meetup and it's not
listed there, please get in touch.

TryStack
========

TryStack.org, the site where you can try out OpenStack without having
to deploy it yourself, is back online, after an extended outage.
During that time, the site was upgraded to better hardware, and is now
running OpenStack RDO Kilo.

To use TryStack, you'll need to join the TryStack Facebook group
(that's how authentication is done), and then you'll have access to a
full OpenStack installation where you can create networks, spin up
instances, and generally explore what OpenStack can do.

Go to http://trystack.org/ to get started.

Keep in touch
=============

There's lots of ways to stay in in touch with what's going on in the
RDO community. The best ways are ...

WWW
   * RDO - http://rdoproject.org/
   * OpenStack Q&A - http://ask.openstack.org/

Mailing Lists:
   * rdo-list mailing list -
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/rdo-list
   * This newsletter -
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/rdo-newsletter

IRC
   * IRC - #rdo on Freenode.irc.net
   * Puppet module development - #rdo-puppet

Social Media:
   * Follow us on Twitter - http://twitter.com/rdocommunity
   * Google+ - http://tm3.org/rdogplus
   * Facebook - http://facebook.com/rdocommunity

Thanks again for being part of the RDO community!

Rich Bowen - rbowen at redhat.com
OpenStack Community Liaison
http://rdoproject.org/