[Rdo-list] [rdo-manager] is there a stable version?

James Slagle jslagle at redhat.com
Fri Sep 18 19:15:06 UTC 2015

To address $SUBJECT directly:

Not currently. We had rdo-manager running with kilo for a while, but some of
the packages got stale as priorities shifted. We switched some of the builds to
pull from master, and that worked for a while, but now it's failing again.

We've instead been focusing our effort into making upstream TripleO stable at
this time (which follows the same rdo-manager workflow). That's currently using
a delorean trunk repo that typically lags a week or 2 behind the "current"
repo, so currently Liberty based.

That's a work in progress, as folks are discovering. We're resource constrained
on several fronts, but it's actively being worked on daily in #tripleo on
freenode.

The plan is to have the issues worked out and be able to keep not only
stability with Delorean trunk, but on RDO Liberty as well.

Please see my inline reply as well below, it should help some to get further
along.

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 01:42:55PM -0400, Jeff Peeler wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 12:42 PM, Christopher Brown <cbrown2 at ocf.co.uk> wrote:
> > Something is going very wrong somewhere.
> >
> > I have tried several different ways _just_ to install the undercloud.
> >
> > Using:
> >
> > http://trunk.rdoproject.org/centos7/current/delorean.repo
> >
> > I get the following error:
> >
> > + semodule -i /opt/stack/selinux-policy/ipxe.pp
> > dib-run-parts Fri 18 Sep 17:01:04 BST 2015 00-apply-selinux-policy
> > completed
> > dib-run-parts Fri 18 Sep 17:01:04 BST 2015
> > Running /usr/libexec/os-refresh-config/configure.d/20-compile-and-install-selinux-policies
> > + set -o pipefail
> > ++ mktemp -d
> > + TMPDIR=/tmp/tmp.ZWLD1K9BTD
> > + '[' -x /usr/sbin/semanage ']'
> > + cd /tmp/tmp.ZWLD1K9BTD
> > ++ ls '/opt/stack/selinux-policy/*.te'
> > ls: cannot access /opt/stack/selinux-policy/*.te: No such file or
> > directory
> > + semodule -i '/tmp/tmp.ZWLD1K9BTD/*.pp'
> > semodule:  Failed on /tmp/tmp.ZWLD1K9BTD/*.pp!
> > [2015-09-18 17:01:04,559] (os-refresh-config) [ERROR] during configure
> > phase. [Command '['dib-run-parts',
> > '/usr/libexec/os-refresh-config/configure.d']' returned non-zero exit
> > status 1]
> >
> > With
> >
> > http://trunk.rdoproject.org/centos7/38/1c/381cac9139096bfef49952f3fd67e19451160b61_4bc2d731/delorean.repo
> >
> > I get the same error.
> >
> > This is regardless of:
> >
> > export DIB_INSTALLTYPE_puppet_modules=source
>
> I ran into this error as well. Unfortunately, using the delorean repo
> straight from current is as this thread indicates, not stable. There's
> an outstanding review here that uses a good delorean repo to install
> from:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/223293/2
>
> I highly recommend using that and going from there. Do make note that
> in this particular delorean repo, inspector needs to be set to
> disabled and the conductor service either restarted or sent a HUP
> signal.

Thanks Jeff for pointing this out. I've pushed up a couple more patchsets as
well, so make sure to be looking at the latest one:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/223293/
If you git clone tripleo-docs, run "tox -e docs" from your checkout, and the
docs will be built under doc/build. You can also view an html build directly
from the jenkins job results on the patchset.

In addition to that, there is another patch in flight to address the packaging
changes around ironic-inspector:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/223267

That's a little bit harder to apply and try out, so I built it into an rpm if
folks are blocked on this:
https://fedorapeople.org/~slagle/instack-undercloud-2.1.2.post206-99999.noarch.rpm

Just before running "openstack undercloud install" you'll need to:
sudo yum install -y yum-plugin-versionlock
sudo rpm -Uvh --force https://fedorapeople.org/~slagle/instack-undercloud-2.1.2.post206-99999.noarch.rpm
sudo yum versionlock instack-undercloud

That got me a successful undercloud install. I'm testing image builds now.

If anyone does try these patches, reviews in gerrit are appreciated.

-- James Slagle