[Rdo-list] RDO-Manager "quickstart"

Boris Derzhavets bderzhavets at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 18 21:00:18 UTC 2015

> To: rbowen at redhat.com; rdo-list at redhat.com
> From: pmyers at redhat.com
> Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 15:49:39 -0400
> Subject: Re: [Rdo-list] RDO-Manager "quickstart"
>
> On 09/18/2015 03:35 PM, Rich Bowen wrote:
> > One of the goals of the RDO Packstack Quickstart is to give people a
> > successful and easy first-time experience deploying OpenStack, even if
> > what they're left with (an --allinone deployment) might not be, strictly
> > speaking, *useful* for much.
> >
> > Today on IRC I asked if we might possibly work towards a similar
> > quickstart for RDO-Manager, where we make a bunch of assumptions and
> > automate whatever parts of it we can, and end up with a "do these three
> > steps" kind of thing, like the Packstack quickstart.
> >
> > I've included the transcript of the conversation below, but since IRC
> > transcripts can be confusing after the fact, to summarize, slagle opined
> > that it might be feasible to have two paths - the full-featured path
> > that we currently have, but also something as I described above for your
> > first time.
> >
> > I wanted to toss this out here for a larger audience to see whether this
> > seems like a reasonable goal to pursue?
>
> +1
>
> I think it's critical to have something that's easy to work for _very_
> constrained use cases. But I also agree with the below sentiments that
> we need to properly document and enable folks to do more complex
> deployments after they've had their first success with the minimal
> deployment option
>
> One thing to consider in all of this is... what is the minimum
> deployment footprint? I think we have to assume virtual, since most
> folks won't have a lab with 6 nodes sitting around.
>
> A few options:
>
> a Undercloud on one VM, single overcloud controller on another VM,
>   single compute node on another VM (using nested virt, or just plain
>   emulation)
>
> b 2nd variation on the above would be to run the 3 node controller HA
>   setup, which means 1 undercloud, 3 overcloud controllers + 1 compute
>
> The question is... what is the minimum amount of RAM that you can run an
> overcloud controller with?  4GB?  Or can that be squeezed to 2 or 3GB
> just for playing around purposes?
>
> What is the minimum amount of RAM you need for the undercloud node?
>
> If 4GB per VM, then a) maybe can be done on a 16GB system, while b)
> needs 32GB

32 GB RAM is not actually a big problem, but test "b" will require 8 CORE CPU at least  like
Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2690 (costs about $2000) and corresponding board, which require
business environment and would fail on desktop CPU. Even expensive i7 ( Haswell Kernel) top line
models won't provide ability to test "b", only "a" due to 4 CORES limitation even with HT enabled.
Please, correct me if I am wrong about that.

Boris