[rdo-list] tripleo-quickstart: new features, and upcoming changes

Wesley Hayutin whayutin at redhat.com
Wed Aug 10 17:19:01 UTC 2016

Greetings,
It's been a little while since the RDO CI team has updated the community
with new features coming to tripleo-quickstart and CI.

Since I have your attention I'll walk through some upcoming changes that
you need to be aware of.

   - We've determined that the role and jinja2 template [1]  we use to
   configure the overcloud is too large and not very composable.  The current
   template contains registration, introspection, flavor creation, and
   network-isolation setup.
   - This will be split into three distinct roles in the future [2]
         - ansible-role-tripleo-overcloud-prep-images
         - ansible-role-tripleo-overcloud-prep-flavors
         - ansible-role-tripleo-overcloud-prep-network
      - Additionally we will be creating a role responsible for copying
   custom heat templates, nic-conifgs, and other config to the undercloud to
   prep for a deployment [2]
   - The tripleo-quickstart core's have decided to remove the roles
   responsible for configuring and deploying the overcloud from
   tripleo-quickstart and make them 3rd party roles (oooq-extras)

Now for the new features:

   - Paul Belanger has added tripleo-quickstart doc to the openstack doc
   server.
      - http://docs.openstack.org/developer/tripleo-quickstart/
      - Paul Belanger has added a lint job for tripleo-quickstart in the
   openstack ci system
      - e.g.
      http://logs.openstack.org/90/352990/1/check/gate-tripleo-quickstart-linters-ubuntu-xenial/
   - Harry Rybacki is about to land a patch to automatically generate
   TripleO documentation via CI execution [3].  This is a great feature to
   keep TripleO docs up to date, documenting step by step what CI is doing,
   and great for reproducing bugs!!
   - Attila Darazs has added 3rd party OpenStack CI.  You can now run rdo
   ci against your openstack reviews.
      - To test w/ the latest delorean builds use keyword "rdo-ci-testing"
      - To test w/ the latested promoted RDO quickstart image use keyword
      "rdo-ci-check"

Upcoming features under development:

   - Mathieu Bultel has a working proof of concept that takes an already
   deployed TripleO environment (virt only), shuts it down, saves it to a file
   server and then restores the environment on a new clean libvirt host.  This
   has helped Mathieu iterate on upgrade testing more efficiently.  This work
   has practical implications for sales and other areas.

There is some additional cool stuff on the way, but it's a little too early
to advertise it.  Thanks to Paul, Harry, Attila and Mathieu and the rest of
the RDO community!

[1]
https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-quickstart/blob/master/roles/tripleo/undercloud/templates/undercloud-install-post.sh.j2
[2] https://trello.com/c/yMoI2i1d