[rdo-list] cherry-picking with rdopkg

Ken Dreyer kdreyer at redhat.com
Mon Aug 22 22:12:44 UTC 2016

Hi Jakub,

In the Ceph project we often have to cherry-pick GitHub Pull Requests
downstream into RH's Ceph Storage product.

Now that rdopkg supports pulling RHBZ numbers from the commits, we can
store the BZ data in the -patches branches, and rdopkg does the rest.

To cherry-pick GitHub PRs for particular BZs, I've written the following app:

  https://github.com/ktdreyer/downstream-cherry-picker

This ensures that the cherry-picks are done correctly each time,
enforces the RHBZ numbers, etc.

It would be cool to build this as a feature into rdopkg. It could be
something like:

  rdopkg cherry-pick https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/111 12345

And it would cherry-pick GitHub PR #111 into the -patches branch,
adding "Resolves: rhbz#12345" to each cherry-pick's log.

Do you guys in RDO often cherry-pick large branches (like 8+ commits)
downstream at a time? If so, we could make it auto-detect GitHub vs
Gerrit (although I'm not sure what URL you'd use for a branch in
Gerrit)?

What do you think?

- Ken