Re: [rdo-list] cherry-picking with rdopkg

In OpenStack it's mostly gerrit @ review.openstack.org.

> Now that rdopkg supports pulling RHBZ numbers from the commits, we can
> store the BZ data in the -patches branches, and rdopkg does the rest.
>
> To cherry-pick GitHub PRs for particular BZs, I've written the following app:
>
>   https://github.com/ktdreyer/downstream-cherry-picker
>
> This ensures that the cherry-picks are done correctly each time,
> enforces the RHBZ numbers, etc.

Nice, automation is the way.

> It would be cool to build this as a feature into rdopkg. It could be
> something like:
>
>   rdopkg cherry-pick https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/111 12345

Looks good. Additional sources could be supported without breaking
interface a la

    rdopkg cherry-pick https://review.openstack.org/#/c/347447 12345
    rdopkg cherry-pick https://github.com/foo/bar/commit/deadbee 12345

> And it would cherry-pick GitHub PR #111 into the -patches branch,
> adding "Resolves: rhbz#12345" to each cherry-pick's log.
>
> Do you guys in RDO often cherry-pick large branches (like 8+ commits)
> downstream at a time? If so, we could make it auto-detect GitHub vs
> Gerrit (although I'm not sure what URL you'd use for a branch in
> Gerrit)?

Not me, but possibly others?

Nonetheless, I believe auto adding RHBZ# to commit msg and being able to
supply review/commit URL instead of hash would be nice quality of life
improvement.

> What do you think?

It would be easier to maintain such functionality directly in rdopkg as
opposed to adding another requirement and interface projects but
modularity is nice, of course ;) It should be fairly easy to add to
rdopkg if we decide to.

I'd like to hear from people if they're interested in this (and the
gerrit support).

Cheers,
Jakub