[rdo-list] Python-shade in RDO

Graeme Gillies ggillies at redhat.com
Thu Aug 25 03:53:35 UTC 2016

Hi,

A while ago there was a discussion around python-shade library and
getting it into RDO. [1]

It's been a few months since then, and shade is now successfully
packaged and shipped as part of Fedora [2] which is great, but now I
wanted to restart the conversation about how to make it available to
users of CentOS/RDO.

While it was suggested to get it into EPEL, I don't feel that is the
best course of action simply because of the restrictive update policies
of EPEL not allowing us to update it as frequently as needed, and also
because python-shade depends on the python openstack clients, which are
not a part of EPEL (as my understanding).

The best place for us to make this package available is in RDO itself,
as shade is an official Openstack big tent project, and RDOs aims to be
a distribution providing packages for Openstack projects.

So I just wanted to confirm with everyone and get some feedback, but
unless there is any major objections, I was going to start looking at
the process to get a new package into RDO, which I assume means putting
a review request in to the project https://github.com/rdo-packages
(though I assume a new repo needs to be created for it first).

Regards,

Graeme

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/rdo-list/2015-November/thread.html
[2] http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=21707