[Rdo-list] [Rdo-newsletter] RDO community newsletter, January 2016

Rich Bowen rbowen at redhat.com
Tue Jan 5 21:32:23 UTC 2016

The newsletter is also available at
https://www.rdoproject.org/newsletter/2016-january

Quick links:

* Quick Start - http://rdoproject.org/quickstart
* RDO packages - http://rdoproject.org/repos/ with the trunk packages
  in http://rdoproject.org/repos/openstack/openstack-trunk/
* RDO blog - http://rdoproject.org/blog
* Q&A - http://ask.openstack.org/
* Open Tickets - http://tm3.org/rdobugs
* Twitter - http://twitter.com/rdocommunity
* Mitaka release schedule -
  http://docs.openstack.org/releases/schedules/mitaka.html

Thanks for being part of the RDO community!

As usual, things slowed down a lot over the New Years break, but
they're showing signs of picking up again as we get into the year, and
the push towards Mitaka.

Community Updates
==================

In case you missed it, here's a few highlights from rdo-list that you
may have missed.

The CFP is now open for the OpenStack Summit in Austin. The CFP itself
is at https://goo.gl/q1ru8x and is open until February 1st. This year,
for the first time, speakers are limited to three talk submissions.
Don't wait for the last minute - get your talks in now. And if you
want to run your abstract by someone, there's a number of us on this
list who would be glad to look it over for you.

There has been considerable progress on the OpenStack Speakers Bureau.
If you are willing to speak on any OpenStack related topic, indicate
this by updating your profile at
https://www.openstack.org/profile/speaker to show your area(s) of
expertise, and where you're willing to travel to speak. If you're
looking for speakers for your meetup, search at
https://www.openstack.org/community/speakers for speakers in your
area, and contact them from their profile page.

You can always catch up on the conversation at
http://rdo.fosslists.org/list.html?rdo-list@redhat.com

Upcoming Events
===============

There's several events on the horizon that you should be aware of.

On January 20th and 21st, we invite you to spend an hour or two
helping to improve the RDO website and documentation. You can stop by
the #RDO channel on Freenode to discuss proposed changes, and you can
find the open issues list at
https://github.com/redhat-openstack/website/issues

The following week, we'll be holding the Mitaka 2 test day, where
we'll be putting both RDO/Packstack and RDO Manager through their
paces to ensure that RDO users have a successful experience with
Mitaka. Test day details will appear at
https://www.rdoproject.org/testday/ a little closer to the event. Join
us again on #RDO for help and discussion.

On the last weekend of January, FOSDEM will once again be held at ULB
in Brussels. Details are at https://fosdem.org/2016/  We hope to have
talks in the IaaS/Virtualization Devroom at the main event. Also, on
the day before FOSDEM - January 29th - we'll be holding an RDO
Community Day as part of the FOSDEM Fringe -
https://fosdem.org/2016/fringe/ - where we'll be having a variety of
talks and open discussions about the progress and future of the RDO
project. A preliminary schedule for the event has been posted at
https://www.rdoproject.org/events/rdo-day-fosdem-2016/  If you expect
to attend, please register at https://goo.gl/Z5zByI so that we know
how many to expect for lunch.

On February 5th-7th, DevConf.cz will be held in Brno, where many of
the RDO engineers are based. We expect there to be OpenStack and RDO
content there, and for there to be informal gatherings of RDO
enthusiasts at the event. Find out more at http://devconf.cz/

On February 12th, the MAD For OpenStack miniconference will be held in
Madrid. Register at http://mad4openstack.eventbrite.com

Other RDO events, including the many OpenStack meetups around the
world, are always listed at http://rdoproject.org/events  If you have
an RDO-related event, please feel free to add it by submitting a pull
request to
https://github.com/rbowen/rh-events/blob/master/2016/RDO-Meetups.yml

Blog Posts
==========

Traffic on RDO-related blogs slowed down over December, as it usually
does. But there have been a few great articles that you don't want to
miss.

Tim Bell, at CERN, blogged about the CERN cloud running RDO Kilo, at
http://openstack-in-production.blogspot.com/2015/11/our-cloud-in-kilo.html

Adam Young blogged about getting started with TripleO at
http://adam.younglogic.com/2015/12/getting-started-with-tripleo/

David Simard introduced WeIRDO at
https://dmsimard.com/2015/12/07/thinking-outside-the-box-and-outside-the-gate-to-improve-openstack-and-rdo/

Andrius Benokraitis blogged about setting up a "Rack In A Laptop" with
RDO, at https://support.cumulusnetworks.com/hc/en-us/articles/215832697

You can catch up on other RDO-related blogging in these roundups:

https://www.rdoproject.org/blog/2015/12/rdo-blog-roundup-week-of-december-8/
https://www.rdoproject.org/blog/2015/12/rdo-blog-roundup-week-of-december-14/
https://www.rdoproject.org/blog/2016/01/rdo-blog-roundup-jan-4-2016/

Packaging meetings
==================

Every Wednesday at 15:00 UTC, we have the weekly RDO community meeting
on the #RDO channel on Freenode IRC. And at 15:00 UTC Thursdays, we
have the CentOS Cloud SIG Meeting on #centos-devel. While there is
some overlap in these meetings, the former is more focused on the RDO
packaging process, and the latter is focused on the CentOS community,
and the CI that happens within the CentOS infrastructure, as well as
the other projects that use this infra.

We encourage you to come listen in on these meetings to get a feel for
what's going on in the RDO community.

Bug Statistics
==============

Chandan Kumar has started posting weekly bug statistics summaries.
These are great for tracking the progress of the project, and are also
an excellent place to look if you're getting started and looking for
something to start working on.

You can see the latest of these messages at
http://rdo.fosslists.org/thread.html/Zer5przzb89rhai

Keep in touch
=============

There's lots of ways to stay in in touch with what's going on in the
RDO community. The best ways are ...

WWW
  * RDO - http://rdoproject.org/
  * OpenStack Q&A - http://ask.openstack.org/

Mailing Lists
  * rdo-list mailing list - http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/rdo-list

IRC
  * IRC - #rdo on Freenode.irc.net
  * Puppet module development - #rdo-puppet

Social Media
  * Follow us on Twitter - http://twitter.com/rdocommunity
  * Google+ - http://tm3.org/rdogplus
  * Facebook - http://facebook.com/rdocommunity

Thanks again for being part of the RDO community!

Rich Bowen - rbowen at redhat.com
OpenStack Community Liaison
http://rdoproject.org/