[rdo-list] TripleO UI Packaging Strategy

Jason Rist jrist at redhat.com
Fri Jul 15 16:05:28 UTC 2016

On 07/15/2016 04:31 PM, Dougal Matthews wrote:
> On 15 July 2016 at 16:27, David Moreau Simard <dms at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > I think TripleO-UI can draw from a lot of the work that has been done
> > in Horizon packaging [1] (adding mrunge).
> >
> > You can see that most of the libraries are made available through
> > xstatic python packages, for example jquery.
> > If there are missing libraries they need to be highlighted so we can
> > package them.
> >

> Due to the UI being built in react and using the npm ecosystem I think it
> has over 800 dependent packages. I'm not sure that doing them all
> individually is realistic.
>

> [1]: https://github.com/rdo-packages/horizon-distgit
> >
> > David Moreau Simard
> > Senior Software Engineer | Openstack RDO
> >
> > dmsimard = [irc, github, twitter]
> >

> > On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 10:56 AM, Jason Rist <jrist at redhat.com> wrote:
> >> Hey everyone - we are trying to think about our packaging strategy for
> >> the TripleO UI and would like some feedback.  Feel free to yell
> >> regarding the details as this is high priority.
> >>
> >> The plan:
> >>
> >> 1.) Create a spec file for the RPM that includes the pre-compiled
> >> (minified, production ready) javascript application.
> >> 2.) Push new repository to review RDO repositories
> >> RTFM:
> >>
> > https://www.rdoproject.org/documentation/rdo-packaging/#how-to-add-a-new-package-to-rdo-trunk
> >> 3.) Have people review said package here:
> >> https://review.rdoproject.org/r/#/q/status:open
> >> 4.) Add info to
> >> https://github.com/redhat-openstack/rdoinfo/blob/master/rdo.yml
> >> 5.) Package appears in trunk delorean
> >>

> >> We talked a little and we are thinking that the UI will be able to be
> >> installed without the dependency of mistral and zaqar since those are
> >> connected services rather than binary dependencies.
> >>
> >> We are going to try that as a first pass and then iterate.
> >>
> >> We are targeting next week for this work and already have the beginning
> >> of #1, so I am confident we'll be able to begin iterating on the
> >> packaging setup.
> >>
> >> Please let me know if you have any questions.
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >> Jason
> >> --
> >> Jason E. Rist
> >> Senior Software Engineer
> >> OpenStack User Interfaces
> >> Red Hat, Inc.
> >> openuc: +1.972.707.6408
> >> mobile: +1.720.256.3933
> >> Freenode: jrist
> >> github/twitter: knowncitizen

Yeah, let me be a little more clear.  A very large amount of the packages are primarily used for development.  We are planning on releasing something that is compiled down in a sort of production form, with a longer term plan to release more of the pre-compile dependencies, similar to Horizon.

Thanks,
Jason