[Rdo-list] [tripleo-quickstart] Patches and more patches

John Trowbridge trown at redhat.com
Mon Mar 21 12:36:34 UTC 2016

On 03/21/2016 12:00 AM, David Moreau Simard wrote:
> Let me preface this by pleading my ignorance about a lot of things TripleO.
>
> There seems to be a lot of interest, traction and improvements to
> quickstart recently. That's awesome in a lot of ways.
>
> Are we taking steps to ensure that relevant things are sent upstream ? I
> know there is a spec right now to send it mostly as-is upstream.
> What I mean is if we are making sure we are not working around things that
> should be done properly or fixed in THT, Instack-Undercloud or other
> TripleO components.

I fully agree that tripleo-quickstart should funnel improvements
upstream, and not hide bugs via workarounds. Right now, there is only
one workaround outside of image building, which needs a separate spec
and overhaul upstream. (The image building workarounds are related to
removing the need for EPEL, and removing some DIB elements which only
have a single line of bash)

We need a 'yes hack'[1] in order to use the tripleo.sh pingtest, because
heatclient added a confirmation for stack deletion. It is protected by a
check for tty, but ansible is getting a tty.

Note, that the upstream spec[2] to replace instack-virt-setup has
multiple +2's now, so we should be able to start migrating to the
openstack namespace soon. This alone does not ensure that we don't have
fixes creep into tripleo-quickstart that should be in some other TripleO
component, but it does make it harder. (Since there will potentially be
more TripleO core involvement)

None of the many improvements from Lars below are hiding issues in
TripleO though. (They would be if we were not replacing
instack-virt-setup, but that has been the goal from day 1)

[1]
https://github.com/redhat-openstack/tripleo-quickstart/blob/master/playbooks/roles/tripleo/overcloud/templates/tripleo-pingtest.sh.j2#L19-L22
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/276810/