[Rdo-list] Does RDO have a branding problem ?

David Moreau Simard dms at redhat.com
Wed Mar 23 17:01:35 UTC 2016

Hello,

This email has been on my mind for a while...
Recently, we dropped the "RDO Manager" branding in favor of calling it
like it is, Triple O [1]. Good.

On various IRC channels, mailing lists, or websites I will see things
like these (names removed but trust me, actual logs from today) on a
pretty regular basis:

- Hello everyone, can anyone advice how to add compute node with
single NIC after setup openstack by RDO?
- i'm new around here and just started to use rdo to deploy openstack
i cannot seem to find one thing, is there a way to skip installing
compute nodes services?

Even some people I consider knowledgeable in OpenStack development or
operations (but deploy using either home-grown packages or UCA, for
example) believe RDO is some sort of installer by Red Hat.

Do we need to reinforce that RDO is a packaging effort to provide
packages for Red Hat based distributions ?
I mean, I don't know how we can put this message up front more than it
already is, it's pretty big enough on the front page of the website
[2].

There is an important nuance between what RDO is and the installers
that consume the RDO packages are.
You can install OpenStack using RDO packages by hand [3] and the
multiple different installers.

Am I the only one noticing this weird perception ? I've never really
seen people saying "I have installed UCA, now what?".

[1]: https://www.rdoproject.org/blog/2016/02/rdo-manager-is-now-tripleo/
[2]: https://www.rdoproject.org/
[3]: http://docs.openstack.org/liberty/install-guide-rdo/

David Moreau Simard