[rdo-list] [quickstart] Status of undercloud baremetal role and future evolutions

Wesley Hayutin whayutin at redhat.com
Tue Nov 8 02:53:01 UTC 2016

On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 1:36 PM, Raoul Scarazzini <rasca at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
> just would like to share the status around the role in the subject so to
> keep the one interested up to date. What we want to achieve with this
> role is to have a ready to use baremetal undercloud, like the virtual
> one produced by tripleo-quickstart.
> At the moment there is just one job in the RDO pipeline that uses this
> role [1], plan is to have more than this, because you already know that
> "with baremetal is never easy".

This role sets up the undercloud on a provided server directly w/o setting
up a virtual guest for the undercloud.
I would think the performance team would be interested in this role so that
the undercloud performance metrics are not skewed by libvirt.

I was also thinking it may be useful in the multinode nodepool workflow,
where the undercloud is directly installed.  I don't see there being an
advantage in using it, but I could be missing something.

I could also see ops teams taking advantage of this to deploy out to
production environments.  We would need to ensure the role is uncoupled
from any provisioning, but I see it being valuable for sure.

I've copied some other folks to get their thoughts.
Thanks Raoul!