[rdo-list] No maintainer for networking-arista

Haïkel hguemar at fedoraproject.org
Fri Oct 7 23:18:24 UTC 2016

> Hi Sukhdev,
>
> I think designating another interested maintainer for the package that would
> take it over and help solve RDO folks any integration issues with the
> package will be enough.
>
> Ihar
>
> Sukhdev Kapur <sukhdev at arista.com> wrote:
>
>> Hey Ihar,
>> We obviously would not want networking-arista be dropped from RDO. What do
>> you suggest we do to ensure this package does not get dropped?
>>
>> Regards
>> Sukhdev

Hi Sukhdev,

one requirement to remain in RDO is to have an active maintainer to
update/fix issues in packages.
We're also looking for upstream developpers to collaborate with us on
the release management side.

In networking-arista, some issues we had to deal with:
- no stable/newton branches
- no stable tarballs
https://tarballs.openstack.org/networking-arista/

As a release wrangler, I can help maintainers to get things released
in time, but if there's no releases, I have no clue on what to ship in
our repositories.
We're no network experts, we have no networking-arista specific CI
jobs running, and we have a whole distro to maintain, so unless
someone steps up to maintain it, best choice for us is to drop it
rather than shipping half-broken packages. Off couse, we're looking
forward working with upstream maintainers to ship OpenStack packages
that reflects positively on both downstream/upstream.

Regards,
H.