[rdo-list] Upgrade from Mitaka to Ocata (RDO w/ Packstack Multi-Node), Keystone problem?

Arash Kaffamanesh ak at cloudssky.com
Sun Feb 26 01:16:41 UTC 2017

Hello together,

Followed the nice guide here (upgrade from Mitaka to Newton):

https://www.rdoproject.org/install/upgrading-rdo-1/

to upgrade a 4 node Mitaka QA environment deployed with packstack (1
controller, 3 compute) to *Ocata*.

The good news is that all VMs are running on the compute nodes and horizon
can be reached with the new nice OpenStack logo :-), but I can't login to
horizon anymore. After the package upgarde and following the steps on the
mentioned guide above, the call:

# systemctl isolate openstack-services.snapshot

didn't work as expected (it got stuck for a long time and I'd to reboot the
controller).

One issue which I'd to deal with was the dependency with some Ceph packages:

Error: centos-release-ceph-jewel conflicts with
centos-release-ceph-hammer-1.0-5.el7.centos.noarch

(I'd to erase the Mitaka rpm and disable the Ceph repo and first after that
the yum install -y centos-release-openstack-ocata worked)
So, now after the upgrade if I call openstack-status, some services like
nova-api are showing up in "activating" phase and keystone is disabled and
there are some 500 internal server errors as provided below.

To be honest, I'm not sure if the direct upgrade from Mitaka to Ocata is
the right way and most probably it'd be better to upgarde first to Newton
and then to Ocata, right?.

On Mitaka Keystone v2 was activated and as I know in Newton Keystone v3 is
the default version.

Now my questions are:

Does the guide above work for upgrading to Ocata at all, e.g. from Newton
to Ocata?
Are there any additional steps which one needs to consider?
What happens if I create a new packstack answer-file and run a new
deployment? (well, I know the answer might be, try it yourself :-))
Do I need to adjust the nova.conf, keystone.conf files?

Thanks for any hints in advance!
-Arash

[root at controller~(keystone_admin)]# openstack-status

== Nova services ==

openstack-nova-api:                     activating

openstack-nova-compute:                 inactive  (disabled on boot)

openstack-nova-network:                 inactive  (disabled on boot)

openstack-nova-scheduler:               activating

openstack-nova-cert:                    activating

openstack-nova-conductor:               activating

openstack-nova-console:                 inactive  (disabled on boot)

openstack-nova-consoleauth:             activating

openstack-nova-xvpvncproxy:             inactive  (disabled on boot)

== Glance services ==

openstack-glance-api:                   active

openstack-glance-registry:              active

== Keystone service ==

openstack-keystone:                     inactive  (disabled on boot)

== Horizon service ==

openstack-dashboard:                    301

== neutron services ==

neutron-server:                         active

neutron-dhcp-agent:                     active

neutron-l3-agent:                       active

neutron-metadata-agent:                 active

neutron-openvswitch-agent:              active

neutron-metering-agent:                 active

== Cinder services ==

openstack-cinder-api:                   active

openstack-cinder-scheduler:             inactive

openstack-cinder-volume:                active

openstack-cinder-backup:                active

== Ceilometer services ==

openstack-ceilometer-api:               inactive  (disabled on boot)

openstack-ceilometer-central:           active

openstack-ceilometer-compute:           inactive  (disabled on boot)

openstack-ceilometer-collector:         active

openstack-ceilometer-notification:      active

== Heat services ==

openstack-heat-api:                     active

openstack-heat-api-cfn:                 inactive  (disabled on boot)

openstack-heat-api-cloudwatch:          inactive  (disabled on boot)

openstack-heat-engine:                  inactive

== Support services ==

mariadb:                                active

openvswitch:                            active

dbus:                                   active

target:                                 active

rabbitmq-server:                        active

memcached:                              active

== Keystone users ==

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "/usr/bin/keystone", line 6, in <module>

    from keystoneclient.shell import main

  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/keystoneclient/shell.py", line 32,
in <module>

    from keystoneclient.contrib.bootstrap import shell as shell_bootstrap

  File
"/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/keystoneclient/contrib/bootstrap/shell.py",
line 17, in <module>

    @utils.arg('--user-name', metavar='<user-name>', default='admin',
dest='user',

AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'arg'

== Glance images ==

Internal Server Error (HTTP 500)

== Nova managed services ==

No handlers could be found for logger "keystoneauth.identity.generic.base"

ERROR (InternalServerError): Internal Server Error (HTTP 500)

== Nova networks ==

No handlers could be found for logger "keystoneauth.identity.generic.base"

ERROR (InternalServerError): Internal Server Error (HTTP 500)

== Nova instance flavors ==

No handlers could be found for logger "keystoneauth.identity.generic.base"

ERROR (InternalServerError): Internal Server Error (HTTP 500)

== Nova instances ==