[rdo-list] Could the Ceph Storage SIG repo be included in the RDO/DLRN buildroots?

David Moreau Simard dms at redhat.com
Mon Jun 19 17:34:59 UTC 2017

Chatted about this on IRC [1] but writing here for posterity.

We've indeed already discussed this as you mentioned [2] and we've
chosen against bundling the Ceph repositories with rdo-release.
Consequent with that decision, the Ceph repositories aren't bundled
with "delorean-deps".

The reason we don't bundle it is to give the users the ability to
choose what they end up deploying.
Maybe they want to deploy Hammer instead of Jewel (or the other way
around) or maybe they even want to deploy Infernalis.
Perhaps they want to deploy from upstream repositories instead of the
Ceph SIG repositories.

My memory is fuzzy right now as to why exactly the Ceph SIG repository
was ever bundled into "centos-release-openstack-<release>" package but
it is bundled there,

Regardless, the installer(s) (ex: TripleO) need to ensure that the
proper repositories are installed, it's not RDO's responsibility.
For example in TripleO-CI, they take care of setting up the Ceph repository [3].

RDO should not have an opinion on the repositories that are installed.
The only hard requirement right now is the Virtualization SIG
repository due to the qemu-kvm version requirement.
This is enforced by requiring qemu-kvm > 2.3 in the nova spec [4], but
even then, we could argue that this is not okay because users can end
up deploying with another hypervisor (Xen/XenServer/VMware, etc.).

So we're essentially looking to do the same thing for the
tripleo-common package requiring a package from the Ceph SIG repo and
I'm not sure that's okay either, going with the same logic.
I've put this as a topic for discussion at this meeting on Wednesday
[5], let's discuss it further there.

[1]: http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23rdo/latest.log.html#t2017-06-19T15:41:38
[2]: https://github.com/rdo-infra/rdo-release/issues/9
[3]: https://github.com/openstack-infra/tripleo-ci/blob/b25a048716a963d22c9d263eed6ba6d2a5756220/scripts/tripleo.sh#L304