[redhat-ccm-list] Postgresql 7.2 available on Enterprise ES ??

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Apr 28 16:35:41 UTC 2004

On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 06:50:15PM +0100, Prospero Associates Limited wrote:
> Had Postgresql 7.2 running well on Redhat 8.0. Including JDBC driver from postgres
> site. Now trialling upgrade to Redhat Enterprise ES. See that version of PGSQL there is
> only 7.1 e.g. postgresql-7.1.3-5.rhel2.1AS
>
> Dont really want to downgrade Postgres. 7.2 is a good release with significant
> enhancements over 7.1. Only way I can see to get 7.2 is from old 8.0 channel on RHN
> (its not available on ES channel) of from old rpms we still have.
>
> If we were to apply these RPMs, we would first remove completely 7.1 on ES.

My recommended approach would be to get the PostgreSQL Red Hat Edition version 3
from our FTP site. This is based on the community PostgreSQL 7.2 & is compiled
for and compatability tested with RHEL 2.1:

  ftp://ftp.mirror.ac.uk/sites/ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/rhdb/2.1/en/iso/i386

NB, this version of PostgreSQL is only relevant for CCM version 5.2. If you
have CCM version 6.0 or 6.1 (ie the nightly builds), then you need to get
the community PostgreSQL 7.3, or PostgreSQL Red Hat edition version 3:

  ftp://ftp.mirror.ac.uk/sites/ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/rhdb/3.0/en/iso/i386

> Any reasons why this might be a bad idea ?.
> Is the version of Postgresql for ES not the same as delivered by postgresql.org (e.g.
> why does the package name have '.rhel2.1AS' on the end) ?
> If we install 7.2, will RHN pick it up under the ES channel (presumably not) ?.

Nope.

> In general terms, we were really quite surprised that ES was behind in almost *every*
> package compared to 8.0.. Why is this ?.

The Red Hat Enterprise Linux products have a much longer lifecycle
than the (now discontinued) Red Hat Linux products, and Fedora. RHEL 2.1
was based on the 7.2 release of Red Hat Linux which is a couple of
releases prior to 8.0, hence the packages will obviously be older. If you need
some of the more up2date software then the newer RHEL 3 release (which was
based on Fedora Core 1) is probably a better choice.

Dan.
--
|=-             Daniel P. Berrange  -  berrange at redhat.com              -=|
|=-   Red Hat, 338 Euston Road, London, NW1 3BT.  +44 (0)7977 267 243   -=|