[redhat-ccm-list] installing tomcat4 rpm

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue May 4 09:14:13 UTC 2004

On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 01:42:26PM -0400, Dennis Gregorovic wrote:
>  * JPackage does have an RPM of the latest Tomcat, but it is
>    packaged in such a way that it has a number of dependencies.
>    This isn't really a problem because you can use yum to ease
>    the package installation.  http://jpackage.org/repos.php#access
>    However, they do not distribute RPMs of code release under the Sun
>    binary license.  So, you will need to rebuild several packages.
>    http://jpackage.org/faq.php

The task of re-building the packages is such a collossal PITA
that IMHO its not really worth using the JPacakge RPMs for Tomcat.

>  * While I would encourage you to use an RPM of Tomcat (it will
>    make life easier in the long run), you don't *have* to use an
>    RPM.  You can just download the 4.1.30 tarball, untar it, and
>    set TOMCAT_HOME accordingly.

If you want really straightforward instructions for doing
this I can recommend you check out the 'APLAWS Quick Start Install
Guide' in Appendix D. It illustrates good practice directory
layout for easily installing multiple versions of Tomcat on a
single machine & switching between then using symlinks as required.

https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=71505

Dan.
--
|=-             Daniel P. Berrange  -  berrange at redhat.com              -=|
|=-   Red Hat, 338 Euston Road, London, NW1 3BT.  +44 (0)7977 267 243   -=|