Re: only the letters LI come out when i boot

On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, lem wrote:

> i've tried the boot disk and typed rescue at the boot prompt.
> wh i get to the # prompt i can mount my partition /dev/sda3 using
> mount -t ext2 /dev/sda3 /mnt/
> i can see the partitions i think. i also can see at /mnt/etc lilo.conf ...
> but when i execute lilo -v it cannot find /etc/lilo.conf, but when i copy
> /mnt/etc/lilo.conf to /etc/lilo.conf it also fails....
>
> i'm loosing hope........ can anyone help me please.....

If your only problem is a non working LILO then take these steps:

1. Boot from boot disk
2. At lilo propmt type:
	linux root=/dev/hda1
	(Replace /dev/hda1 with your root partition)
3. System should boot fine now.
4. edit /etc/lilo.conf and add lines where needed for your hardware,
current position of compressed kernel and sso on.
5. Run lilo
6. Reboot system with:
	init 6

Make sure you check /etc/lilo.conf whenever you change related things on
your system and ALWAYS RERUN LILO AFTER YOU MAKE A NEW KERNEL!

Hugo.

	| Hugo van der Kooij	+31-10-599.9237				|
	|	email:		hvdkooij caiw nl			|
	|	homepage:	http://www.caiw.nl/~hvdkooij		|
	|	pgpkey:		http://www.caiw.nl/~hvdkooij/pgpkey	|