I am trying to get Win98 to recognize my to Linux machines with Samba
running in Network Neighborhood.  It was really weird the first time I
installed I had no problem and worked immediately.  After getting feel for
Red Hat 5.1 I wiped my hard drive clean and started over with a full
install.  I know Microsoft did something with their OS wsatrting with NT
and OSR2 that gets rid of plain text passwords which Samba used ot use, but
I checked the samba site and it shows that this new versions of Samba can
handle encrypted passwords.  Hwoever, I was able to see the share
directories with no problem  What am I doing wrong.  As I said above I have
Win98 and I was able to see it before so I know it can be done.  The first
install I didn't make any changes to the /etc/smb.conf file.  Here is what
the file looks like now.  I left the workgroup as workgroup until this
problem can be figured out.

- --Eric

more smb.conf
; The global setting for a RedHat default install
; smbd re-reads this file regularly, but if in doubt stop and restart it:
; /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb stop
; /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start
;======================= Global Settings =====================================

; workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name, eg: REDHAT4
   workgroup = WOKGROUP

; comment is the equivalent of the NT Description field
   comment = RedHat Samba Server

; volume = used to emulate a CDRom label (can be set on a per share basis)
   volume = RedHat4

; printing = BSD or SYSV or AIX, etc.
   printing = bsd
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes

; Uncomment this if you want a guest account
;  guest account = pcguest
   log file = /var/log/samba-log.%m
; Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb)
   max log size = 50

; Options for handling file name case sensitivity and / or preservation
; Case Sensitivity breaks many WfW and Win95 apps
;   case sensitive = yes
    short preserve case = yes
    preserve case = yes

; Security and file integrity related options
   lock directory = /var/lock/samba
   locking = yes
   strict locking = yes
;   fake oplocks = yes
   share modes = yes
; Security modes: USER uses Unix username/passwd, SHARE uses WfW type
;        SERVER uses a Windows NT Server to provide authentication services
   security = user
; Use password server option only with security = server
;   password server = <NT-Server-Name>

; Configuration Options ***** Watch location in smb.conf for side-effects
; Where %m is any SMBName (machine name, or computer name) for which a custom
; configuration is desired
;   include = /etc/smb.conf.%m

; Performance Related Options
; Before setting socket options read the smb.conf man page!!
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
; Socket Address is used to specify which socket Samba
; will listen on (good for aliased systems)
;   socket address = aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd
; Use keep alive only if really needed!!!!
;   keep alive = 60

; Domain Control Options
; OS Level gives Samba the power to rule the roost. Windows NT = 32
;       Any value < 32 means NT wins as Master Browser, > 32 Samba gets it
;   os level = 33
; specifies Samba to be the Domain Master Browser
;   domain master = yes
; Use with care only if you have an NT server on your network that has been
; configured at install time to be a primary domain controller.
;   domain controller = <NT-Domain-Controller-SMBName>
; Domain logon control can be a good thing! See [netlogon] share section
;   domain logons = yes
; run a specific logon batch file per workstation (machine)
;   logon script = %m.bat
; run a specific logon batch file per username
;   logon script = %u.bat
; Windows Internet Name Serving Support Section
; WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable it's WINS Server
;       the default is NO.
;   wins support = yes
; WINS Server - Tells the NMBD components of Samba to be a WINS Client
;       Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a WINS Client, but NOT
;   wins server = w.x.y.z
; WINS Proxy - Tells Samba to answer name resolution queries on behalf of a
;       WINS Client capable client, for this to work there must be at least
;       WINS Server on the network. The default is NO.
;   wins proxy = yes

;============================ Share Declarations
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   read only = no
   preserve case = yes
   short preserve case = yes
   create mode = 0750

; Un-comment the following and create the netlogon directory for Domain Logons
; [netlogon]
;   comment = Samba Network Logon Service
;   path = /home/netlogon
; Case sensitivity breaks logon script processing!!!
;   case sensitive = no
;   guest ok = yes
;   locking = no
;   read only = yes
;   browseable = yes  ; say NO if you want to hide the NETLOGON share
;   admin users = @wheel

; NOTE: There is NO need to specifically define each individual printer
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
   printable = yes
; Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
   public = no
   writable = no
   create mode = 0700

   comment = Temporary file space
   path = /tmp
   read only = no
   public = yes

; A publicly accessible directory, but read only, except for people in
; the staff group
   comment = Public Stuff
   path = /home/samba
   public = yes
   writable = yes
   printable = no
   write list = @users

; Other examples.
; A private printer, usable only by fred. Spool data will be placed in fred's
; home directory. Note that fred must have write access to the spool
; wherever it is.
;   comment = Fred's Printer
;   valid users = fred
;   path = /homes/fred
;   printer = freds_printer
;   public = no
;   writable = no
;   printable = yes
; A private directory, usable only by fred. Note that fred requires write
; access to the directory.
;   comment = Fred's Service
;   path = /usr/somewhere/private
;   valid users = fred
;   public = no
;   writable = yes
; A publicly accessible directory, read/write to all users. Note that all
; created in the directory by users will be owned by the default user, so
; any user with access can delete any other user's files. Obviously this
; directory must be writable by the default user. Another user could of course
; be specified, in which case all files would be owned by that user instead.
;   path = /usr/somewhere/else/public
;   public = yes
;   only guest = yes
;   writable = yes
;   printable = no
; The following two entries demonstrate how to share a directory so that two
; users can place files there that will be owned by the specific users. In
; setup, the directory should be writable by both users and should have the
; sticky bit set on it to prevent abuse. Obviously this could be extended to
; as many users as required.
;   comment = Mary's and Fred's stuff
;   path = /usr/somewhere/shared
;   valid users = mary fred
;   public = no
;   writable = yes
;   printable = no
;   create mask = 0765

"If you treat an individual as he is,he will stay that way,
but if you
treat him as if he were what he could be,
he will become what he could be"
- - Goethe

Version: PGP for Personal Privacy 5.5.2