Java Runtime Enabler/Color problems

Okay, I've been running some UN*X machines for a little while now, but I'm still
pretty new, especially when it comes to X.
First, I can't seem to figure out where to put the Java Runtime Enabler files.
Anyone have any experience with running Java stuff on their RedHat machine?  I
downloaded the glibc files (for JRE, mind you, not the JDK), and uncompressed
them, but there are no instructions that I could find on installing or
configuring.  It uncompresses into it's own folder... 8-/
Also, I have no idea what color range I'm using when I'm running the xdm, but
it's obviously pretty small, since netscape seems to be using the limited
amount of system colors when it displays graphics.  It looks pretty bad... so
how do I find out and/or change it?
So if anyone can help with these, I'd greatly appreciate it!
Please respond to this e-mail address and/or yahoo mindless com
Thanks!
  -Ron