Re: Configuring sendmail/fetchmail

Mitch wrote:

> I am sending this to the install list 'cos it is very relevant.
>
> Installing RH 5.1 from scratch *and* accepting default settings means
> that the sendmail daemon is fired up at boot.
>
> So, a newbie like me gets the PPP connect working, connects to my ISP
> (Demon) purely to play around with Netscape and ...
>
> ... Demon's SMTP server says "Oy, I've some mail for you and here it
> is". I have my own domain, so I can have an infinite no of identities.
> As I haven't set mailboxes up -- mail bounces. Not only that, I don't
> want to pick up all mail via Linux, just some specific ones.
>
> So, I pick up some wrinkles from a newsgroup on how to pick up mail
> via POP3. So far, I have
>
> o turned off the sendmail daemon.
>
> o added
> >smtp   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/sendmail -bs
> to /etc/inetd.conf
>
> o /etc/hosts.allow is
> ALL: Local
>
> o /etc/hosts.deny is
> ALL: ALL
>
> >From what I gathered, all this sets me up to run sendmail locally so
> my mail will not be automatically downloaded when going on line. To
> get mail from Demon, I have to use fetchmail. And therein lies the
> problem.
>
> I have no .fetchmailrc in root's home directory.[ Looking at the man
> entry for fetchmail .. I can't make head nor tail of it :-( ] So I am
> invoking fetchmail with command line options.
>
> Suppose I want to pick mail up for fred bromage demon co uk  I'm
> supposed to be able to invoke fetchmail to do this by
>
> fetchmail -p POP3 -keep -u fred+bromage pop3.demon.co.uk
>
> which I am told will prompt me for my Demon Pop3 password and download
> all messages for user 'fred' on my host + domain.
>
> What happens is I get
> >Enter password for root pop3 demon co uk
> followed by
>
> >fetchmail: skipping poll of pop3.demon.co.uk <garbled characters> down
> >QUIT
>
> This happens whether I am online (by activating the PPP conection) or
> offline. So I obviously have not got something else set tup correctly.
>
> What am I not doing properly?

It sounds like you know a lot more than I do about this stuff.
But  I got  fetchmail to get my mail .... this is how my bash prompt reads
wynhaus is the user name I have registered with my internet provider

wynhaus localhost wynhaus]$   fetchmail   clandjop.com    (the name of my ip)
then it asks my password and gets my mail .... sort of....

It works kind of crappily... that is it  gets some of my mail sometimes.

I would like to know if there is a better way to do this.

Let me know too.

Your welcome thanks...

John