RE: SB AWE 32 Install **

i'll answer both your questions in one shot.. (hopefully)  there are freeware
AWE32 drivers, you should be able to find them by searching the linux software
map,.. http://www.linux.org/help/lsm.html

or i think is a better solution, purchase the OSS/linux full version from
http://www.4front-tech.com  it's $20, you buy one license, it gives you free
updates for life, and all the support for just about every sound card out
there.. a very good product, at an outstanding price (i don't work for them.. i
just love the product :)

now for the fist question.. it depends.. i'm not sure if redhat default
installs support for SMP, but it's not too dificult..

install the latest kernel source.. (2.0.34) from
ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.0

once extracted into /usr/src, you can edit the Makefile with whatever editor
you wish.. (vi, joe, pico, emacs)

simply uncomment the line #SMP = 1  (remove the #)

you can also read about SMP in
/usr/src/linux/Documentation

here's a quote from /usr/src/linux/Makefile
#
# For SMP kernels, set this. We don't want to have this in the config file
# because it makes re-config very ugly and too many fundamental files depend
# on "CONFIG_SMP"
#
# NOTE! SMP is experimental. See the file Documentation/SMP.txt
#
# SMP = 1
#
# SMP profiling options
# SMP_PROF = 1

On 05-Jul-98 Ken Walenta wrote:
> I have Red Hat 5.1 and a SB AWE 32, how do I install support for the
> soundcard????  The card was in the machine at the time I installed RH5.1 but
> I don't think support was installed for the card.
>
> Ken

>       Problems should be addressed to <listmaster redhat com>.

TTYL,
        Ben Kochie (ben intexp com)

You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public.
                                        -Scott Adams

To the engineer, the world is a toy box full of sub-optimized and
feature-poor toys.
                                        -How to tell an Engineer