Re: RH 5.0 disk partitioning

After about a trying about a million different things, this is what I've
learned:
-my version of DOS fdisk will only create two partitions (one primary
and one extended)
-it limits the size of the primary to 2047 MB, the extended can fill up
the rest of the disk
-RH5.0 disk druid and fdisk will not recognize a partition over 2008 MB
(this is 1023 cylinders on my system - the EZBIOS trick), if I make a
partition of 2047 MB it will give me this error message "An error
occurred reading the partition table for the block device hdb.  The
error was 'no such file or directory' ".  I can make two partitions of
2008 MB and it will still "read" the partition table but it will tell me
that there are -2008 MB free and not let me add any Linux partitions.

My solution was to create (using DOS fdisk) a primary partition (empty)
of 100 MB and an extended partition of 500MB (containing the RH5.0
installation files).  DD calls the primary DOS partition hdb1 and the
extended hdb5. Then once in DD delete the primary and add the Linux
partitions.  It would only let me add three primary Linux partitions, I
guess it was counting the extended DOS partition as a primary one.  So I
made a  /, SWAP, and /usr partition.  DD called these hdb1, hdb3, and
hdb4.  I had to stay within the 2 GB limit (including the extended DOS
partition).  With the partitioning completed, the rest of the
installation went smoothly.  I have just successfully booted Linux using
LILO.

Then, in order to be able to use the other 6 GBs of my hard drive, I
used DOS fdisk to delete the 500MB DOS extended partition containing the
RH5.0 installation files and created a 6 GB DOS extended partition
(since this is my second hard drive I don't need a primary DOS partition
on it).

So far so good.  Just thought this info might help someone else out
there struggling with this sort of thing.  Maybe if I had the latest
version of EVERYTHING I wouldn't need to do all this!

Carol