Re: Network problems

Most likely it is a lookup problem, your linux box is trying to do a lookup
on the machine telnetting in.  Do you have the NT machine in your
/etc/hosts file?  And do you have the Linux box in the NT's hosts file?
That fixed it for me.  You also need to make sure you name server is
configured to: order hosts bind.  It will clean up your internal network
tremendously.

Rik

At 02:19 AM 7/12/98 -0400, you wrote:
>I was wondering about that, where it takes a while before getting a prompt
on my telnet session.  When I telnet from NT to Linux, it takes almost a
minute (on Fast Ethernet).  Sometimes, though, it comes up right away.
Seems like a fifty/fifty thing in my case.

>Arnold

networking daemons; telnet & ftp.  What happens is that when I telnet or
ftp to the box (from a Win95 machine BTW) I get the connected message but
no prompts.  Incidently, I also installed SSH on the machine and use
F-Secure to connect to it and this works, but the initial