Cannot make menuconfig(or xconfig)

I have been following the newsgroup for some time looking for a possible
solution to this problem.  I am running Hurricane (5.0).  I want to
reconfigure my kernel with make menuconfig or make xconfig, but when I
do, I get this error message:

make:  *** No rule to make target 'menuconfig' .  Stop

I run the command from /usr/src/linux directory.  I also have
reinstalled RH several times, thinking that I missed something during
the install.  Granted, I am definitely a newbie at this, but please
help.

Bret Reid
breid erinet com