RH5.1 Install Woes

As a total Linux newbie, I managed to screw up my RH5.1 so badly
that I decided that a reinstall would be the quickest way to
continue my long climb up the learning curve. I had originally been
running 5.0 and had done an install of 5.1 onto that same drive (the
primary slave on ide0).

Now when I boot from the 5.1 boot diskette and go through the install
process neither DiskDruid nor fdisk will recognize the drive. However
when I boot with my 5.0 boot disk DiskDruid will recognize the drive
fine.

I can't understand why I was able to install 5.1 twice onto this drive
and now I can't. No hardware on the machine has changed, no BIOS changes.
Anybody have any ideas?