3c509b networking woes...

i've been trying to configure RH 5.1 and am having a hell of a time
configuring my 3com 3c509b ethernet card. i've been perusing the various
newsgroups looking for answers and while there have been many, none have
helped my situation.

here's a laundry list of what i've done thus far:

1. using 3c5x9cfg.exe in dos, i've disabled pnp.
2. manually updated by /etc/conf.modules to look like:

alias eth0 3c509
options 3c509 io=0x300 irq=10

3. used RH's kernel configurator and created:

type: eth0 module: 3c509

NOTE: RH's kernel configurator won't let me add any arguments to eth0
3c509. when i do, it appears to work. but when i restart it, the
arguments are gone.

none of these things seems to be working. what should my next step be?
i'm teetering on the edge of throwing in the towel.

thanks a lot,

wil