Change monitor type w/o reinstall?

OK, I have another question for the list's collective consideration:

I have built a little server machine, nothing fancy, and I have a monitor
that works just enough to handle text mode pretty well.  However, I do want
to be able to fire up X occasionally, just to have access to some GUI tools.

However, I chose 'generic multisync' on installation, and apparently, well,
it ain't multisync, so I get a completely blank screen when I start up X,
and have to kill off the X server from an alternate console.

So, short of going through the entire reinstall process, is there a simple
or quasi-automated way of picking 'generic' for my monitor type and having
the changes made to allow me to X-ify a bit?

--
Ryan Waldron     |||     http://www.erebor.com     |||     rew erebor com

Unix Hacker for hire    C/perl/email consulting    Recovering M$ consultant

The Web goes ever on and on / Down from the site where it began...