sh: id: command not found

Hello,

I have just built a new Red Hat box, using RH 5.0 that I FTP'd from
sunsite. I just finished the installation, and the system restarted. When
it came up, it said the following:

. }
. }The usual boot up and hardware detection stuff
. }
Partition Check:
 hda: hda1 hda2
 hdb: hdb1
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) read-only.
sh: id: command not found
sh: id: command not found
sh: id: command not found
[: too many arguments
sh: id: command not found
[root@(none) /]#

It does not have my /usr partition mounted, and actually the /etc/mtab file
was empty. I manually created it, but it made no real difference. I
manually mounted /usr (/dev/hda2). The swap partition is on /dev/hdb (a 130
Mb HD dedicated for swap space. The system is a P100 with 48Mb of RAM.
/dev/hda is 2000 Mb, with / being a 150 Mb partition, and /usr being a 200
Mb partition, and /mnt/1 being the remainder.

Now I know that "id" is in /usr/bin/ and since /usr is not mounted at this
point, it cannot find "id", but why is /usr not mounting? How do i get it
to do so?

I have tried manually mounting /usr and then running /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit,
which seems to go okay, but then it just drops me in as root. If I try to
to change directory (to the default) is says:

sh: /usr/root: no such file or directory

In the passwd file, the root shell is /bin/bash and the root home directory
is /root

This is way too wierd for me - any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rashad.