Re: Network Unreacheable

> If this works, then either startup script is failing or is not being
> run at all.  I am not a SYSV expert so I would suggest you get a book or
> consult a newsgroup.

RH Linux doesn't do it exactly like System V.

First off, in /etc/sysconfig/network, NETWORKING has to be on:
	# sourced by /etc/rc.d/init.d scripts
	# dependencies include NETWORKING for all,
	# NFSFS need NFS
	# Hostname shouldn't be here
	HOSTNAME=hostname.domain.us
	NETWORKING=yes

Second, in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts, there have to be files for
each network interface, and in particular:
	ifcfg-lo	ifdown-lo	ifup-lo
and the ifcfg-lo file should contain:
	DEVICE=lo
	IPADDR=127.0.0.1
	NETMASK=255.0.0.0
	NETWORK=127.0.0.0
	BROADCAST=127.255.255.255
	ONBOOT=yes

Third, networking should be turned on when you boot:
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           17 Feb  2  1997 /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S10network -> ../init.d/network
or something similar, depending on the runlevel to which you boot:
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           17 Feb  2  1997 /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S10network -> ../init.d/network

Joe Yao				jsdy tux org - Joseph S. D. Yao