Linux compilers vs. windows compilers

Which one's are better?  I've used things such as Visual C++ 5.0 and
CodeWarrior 3.0 and I love the way they work (i.e., color-coding,
quick function finds, debugging, functionality, ease of use) and I'm
about to dive into my Linux installation soon and was wondering what
type of compilers Linux has to offer to me.  Will I want to continue
working under Windows with programming or will I want to change to
Linux?  i've heard lots of great things about Linux compilers...  I
also will need to be working with Cobol soon.  Does linux provide a
compiler for this?  I can't seem to find any windows cobol
compilers...

p.s. if any codewarrior 3.0 users exist please tell me what you think of it.