pop3 returns password error

I have tried both the imap package of pop3 and the qpopper pop3 servers and both give
me the following typte of error message:

Nov 18 19:06:12 home ipop3d[4471]: Login failure user=ron host=dad [192.168.0.3]
Nov 18 19:06:15 home ipop3d[4471]: No such file or directory while reading line
user=ron host=dad [192.168.0.3]

I can telnet to the pop3 server, enter the user name and after entering the password I
get the error. The above message was generated while attempting to fetch mail from a
windows box on the internal lan. "ron" is a valid user and I can log into the linux box
with the account.

What did I not do the get the pop3 configured correctly? BTW I also tried imap with the
same results.
Best Regards, Ron Seese