X Windows at bbp 16 / Getting X to use accel not svga

yeah - I have this expensive monitor and video card that just don't want to
work with X. I do a startx -bbp 16 or 24 - but it just resets it to 8 bbp -
and uses, I'm fairly sure, the svga server - when I have set up and
downloaded all the necessary files to run XFCom_Matrox - for my MGA-g200.

But anyway - even if my config for the video card isn't working - shouldn't
X still run at a higher bbp with the normal SVGA server? I don't want the
server - but I'd like to be able to use netscape with pictures that show up
correctly.

Do I need to change the .xserverrc? I've followed all the directions to
install XFCom_Matrox - and it is installed. Do I need to do something like
"startx -bbp 16 -server accel, you stupid computer"? Will that work?

Tia -

-abr