RH 5.2 HD Install Problem

I have been getting the error "Unable to open directory" when trying to
install RH 5.2 from a FAT 16 partition on my laptop.
I have a IBM ThinkPad 560X with a 1 GB partition dedicated to linux. I copied
the files off the RH 5.2 CD to my second FAT 16 partition (D: or hda5). When I
get to the part of the RH install where it asks for the partition, I select
hda5. It returns the error "Unable to Open Directory". I have tried to rename
the directories from within Linux but I can't get the hard drive to mount.
Hda5 does not appear in my /dev/ folder. This is my first version of Linux to
put on this machine so I have no working version in place. I have tried
several RH 5.1 boot disks with no better success. Does anyone know what else I
could try?
     Thanks for any help.
     Dan