Fatal error opening RPM database -> OK -> signal 11 abort

Hi!
I purchased RH 5.1 and tried to install it on a PII/400MHz with
256MB RAM, Quantum Viking II 4,5GB, TEAC CD-532E-A CD-ROM,
Adaptec AIC-7890 based PCI Ultra2 SCSI controller...

As RH5.1 doesn't support AIC-7890, I got a new boot image.
It boooted fine, I partitioned the HD with DiskDruid, selected
the packages, but then....

  "Fatal Error opening RPM database"
             "[OK]"

I pressed OK, and then:

  "install exited abnormally - recieved signal 11..."

What may I do now?
I found similar problems with the subject "Fatal Error READING RPM...",
in the archives, but no solution to it.  I cannot recompile stuff
elsewhere, as it is the first Linux machine I own/install.

Any hints?
Thanks!
Markus Senoner