HD size unsupported by BIOS, multiple OS

I can't get Linux to load onto my Packard Bell 486x66 with a new 2.7GB
Maxtor hard drive.  The BIOS doesn't support the large hard drive and
requires that you boot the computer from the hard drive using special
Maxtor software.  I tried letting Linux partition the hard drive and it
installed, but won't boot.  Then I tried letting Windows 95 partition
the hard drive, but the Linux install won't modify the Windows 95
partitions.  Packard Bell doesn't support the BIOS anymore, so I can't
upgrade it.  Is there a way to make this work?

If not, I could put the hard drive onto my Windows 98 PC as a slave
drive and load Linux on it.  If I do this, will Linux object to the OS
that's already installed?  It doesn't seem to want to modify partitions
that have already been defined.

Liz Beckman