more on the Matrox card

I got the drivers for my Matrox Millenium G200 AGP video card from suse's
website and ran xf86config.  I am not sure I'm picking the h-sync range for
my monitor.  I know I'm choosing v-sync range right though.  I'm also not
sure which modes to choose either.  I have my monitor's manual and for
h-sync range specification it says 30KHz-69KHz.  Upon experimenting, X
windows loaded fine except the desktop is really large(the icons are huge
and I can't see the whole desktop).  After being able to exit Xwindows and
rebooting to Win98 the letters on the screen were purple or red.
Fortunately or unfortunately, giving the monitor a gentle tap turned the
screen back to the correct state.  Please tell me what you think.

Dave