Compaq Presario and modem

I'm about to buy either a Toshiba or a Presario notebook, but I think I
read somewhere that the modem included in the Presario 12xx and 16xx is
really a winmodem. Is this true? Has anyone in this list succesfully
installed linux in one of these machines? The "Linux on laptops" page
only lists a couple of old models...

--
      __/o \_
      \____  \
      ||   \ |\ |        Juan Pablo Zaldívar Carrillo
     _||   _||_||        ITESM Campus Guadalajara
al665901 academ01 gda itesm mx
jpzaldivar netscape net