Red Hat 5.1 X terrible slow - Is this normal

Hello

I am a brand new RH 5.1 user.  I have an Intel 486 DX2-66, with 48 megs of ram, and a 2 gig hard drive (that won't let me boot off of it, but that's another story).

When I go startx, it runs X, and the desktop and control panel etc. are very neat, but it takes forever to run things.  The "free" command shows 48 megs total, and about 47 megs used with nothing running except maybe a clock, or xv running.  I can't believe this is right.  I was led to believe that Linux would run well under minimal hardware.  I know that X will impose some additional loads, but what do I need to do to get it running at an acceptable speed?

Harry Fine