installation woes- "Unable to mount root fs on 08:21"

I get the following error message after hitting <enter> or expert<enter>
when installing RedHat for the first time.

<after detecting a lot of stuff, including my two harddrives and the
extended partitions on the second, and my CD player>
RAMDISK:  Compressed image found at block 0.
invalid compressed format (err=2)VFS: Cannot open root device 08:21
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:21.

it then goes to sleep.  Anyone have any idea what this means?

(please respond in email in addition to list)